Are you interested in the history and culture of the Mississippi River Valley? Consider hosting an event with The Mississippi Valley Traveler.
Klinkenberg explores the essence of communities through the lens of a traveler in his talk called “In Search of Great Places: Travels along the Mississippi River.” He has been to over 30 countries around the world but has learned that he doesn’t need to travel far to satisfy his desire for local foods, rich culture, and fun people. He finds plenty of that along the Mississippi River. The one-hour talk is richly illustrated with photographs and stories about the people and places along the Mississippi River.
Klinkenberg has presented for a number of groups, including:
- Des Moines Public Library
- River Valley District Library; Port Byron, IL
- Galesburg (IL) Public Library
- Minnesota City Historical Association
- Dubuque (IA) Public Library
- La Crosse County Historical Society
- Rock Falls (IL) Public Library
- Clinton County (IA) Historical Society
- Beltrami County (MN) Historical Society
- Winona County (MN) History Center
- Grand Rapids (MN) Public Library
- Alton (IL) Public Library
“Klinkenberg’s presentation was a big hit. He is funny, informative, and knowledgeable. His informal style had the audience engaged even before the program officially started.”
- Jane Easterly, Galesburg Public Library, Galesburg, Illinois
“The members from our Writers’ Workshop and those who attended Dean’s presentation enjoyed hearing Dean share his enthusiasm and knowledge from his adventures along the Mississippi. He was an entertaining and informative speaker.”
- Laura Walth, Librarian, Des Moines Public Library, Iowa.
“Dean Klinkenberg’s presentation to the Des Moines Public Library’s writer’s group was a very informative, highly entertaining experience for me. He has a great sense of humor and his “tell it like it is” style was obviously appreciated by our group. I was surprised that as a native Iowan I did not know about many of the interesting sites he covered. Thanks to him I am making a better effort to know my home state.”
- Terry Crane, Retired Educator, Ankeny, Iowa
View clips from the presentation “In Search of Great Places” below.
To schedule a talk, contact Klinkenberg via email (Dean[at]TravelPassages[dot]com).